- 15 organic lemons ( I used 6 meyer lemons and 9 regular lemons)
- 2 (750 ml) bottles 100-proof vodka ( I used Tito’s)
- 4 cups sugar
- 5 cups water (filtered tap water or distilled water)
- Clean the lemons to remove any dirt, pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry.
- Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there is no white pith on the peel.
- In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar with lid), add vodka.
- Add the lemon zest as it is zested.
- Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool dark place. The longer the mixture rests, the better the end taste will be.
- There is no need to stir – all you have to do is wait. As the limoncello sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.
- Make a Basic Simple Syrup using the 4 cups sugar and 5 cups water:
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; bring to a gentle boil and let boil, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and let the syrup cool before adding it to the Limoncello mixture.
- Add cooled sugar mixture to the Limoncello mixture (from Step One). Cover jar and allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.
- After the rest period, strain the Limoncello ( I used a cheesecloth); discarding the lemon zest. Pour strained Limoncello in bottle/bottles (of your choice) and seal tightly.
- Keep your bottle/bottles of Limoncello in the freezer until ready to serve. Serve ice cold from the freezer.